Your home in the Mexican Caribbean
Home Playa Real Estate 10th Av. Between 6&8 Playa del Carmen, QR
Cell: +5219842037126
Work Phone: +5219848078374

Financing Options - How to get a Mortgage in Mexico?

Direct financing by the developer

On a pre-construction sale, generally the builder will ask a 30% downpayment and the remaining 70% paid during construction completition that can take 1 or 2 years. Special properties could have 2,3,5,7 or 10 years financing and generally they finance only a 50%. Some will offer an adapted financing, we are here to help you negotiate a plan that suits you.

 Bank financing :

Foreigners need to have very special conditions to obtain financing by Mexican banks (residence permit, anteriority , credit history) from 10% downpayment and that the rates are 10-13% per year.

Althought this rates look high,  the truth is that Mexican currency is volatile and its depreciated with time, in reality the credit is 30 to 40% more expensive than a US mortgage. The best option remains to obtain a credit in your country like an equity (a second mortgage on a property you owe). 

Private financing :

Some private credits are available with a lower 9% interest rate in pesos per year with very flexible conditions :

- no credit history required

- no migratory condition required

- no minimum time in the country required

However a downpayment of 35% to 55% will be required and a ready to be deeded property.

Please get in touch with one of our financial advisors for more information.